18.5 C
New York

Police Arrest, To Discipline Officer Over Threat To Shoot Anyone Recording Him On Duty

Published:

THE Anambra State Police Command has arrested the officer captured in a viral video threatening to shoot anyone who dares to record him while on duty, saying disciplinary proceedings have been activated against him.
The officer, according to a statement on Thursday by the Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP) in charge of Finance and Administration, Ngozi Ezeabata, on behalf of the Commissioner of Police, Ikioye Orutugu, had been identified as Newton Isokpehi, as Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP), attached to the Command.
Recall that Isokpehi was on Wednesday, May 20, seen in a video circulating on social media threatening to “clear everybody down,” including bystanders, if anyone attempted to film him while carrying out official duties.
Speaking in Pidgin English and addressing the camera directly, he also threatened that any superior officer who approved the filming of policemen would be made to bury the citizens he kills in the process.
The video was later deleted from his TikTok account, where he subsequently released another apologising for his comments, claiming they were made out of frustration.
The Command said it took swift action immediately the video wasmbrought to its attention, noting: “Following a prompt review of the video, the Command immediately identified and arrested the officer involved. The officer is an Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) Newton Isokpehi, serving in the Command.
“In line with the disciplinary standards and ethical code of the Nigeria Police Force (NPF), internal disciplinary proceedings have since been activated against the officer.”
The statement said Isokpehi had undergone a drug test as part of the ongoing investigation into the incident, “to aid the Command in establishing all surrounding circumstances and ensuring a thorough and transparent process.
“The Commissioner of Police strongly condemns the conduct displayed by the officer in the video and reiterates that the Nigeria Police Force is a disciplined institution that will not condone misconduct, abuse of office, incitement or any form of unprofessional behaviour capable of undermining public trust and confidence.
“The Anambra State Police Command further assures Ndi Anambra and the general public that the outcome of the disciplinary process will be made public and that any officer found culpable will face appropriate sanctions in accordance with the law and police regulations.”
The Command reminded officers and men of the Force to remain professional, emotionally balanced and respectful while performing their duties, especially at a time when public scrutiny of security agencies remains high.
It commended the public, civil society organisations and social media users for drawing attention to the incident, saying public feedback contributes to accountability and improved policing.
The statement added: “The Command appreciates members of the public, civil society groups and social media users who continue to assist the Police with credible information capable of improving service delivery and accountability.
“Residents are encouraged to continue reporting incidents or behaviours capable of undermining public peace, safety, and confidence in security agencies.”

Related articles

spot_img

Recent articles

spot_img